Surgeons work long hours and we’re called in late at night, and it can be a very tiring profession. So, I think you really have to feel a calling that you’re ready to give more of yourself. And that sacrifice doesn’t just involve you as the surgeon, but it involves your whole family. Given all that a hundred times over, I’d still choose medicine.
Dr. Mark J. Niederee is a board-certified general surgeon, practicing with Wichita Surgical Specialists. He was born in Great Bend, Kansas, and received his medical degree from the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Wichita.
“I would consider surgery an honored profession, honored in that my ability to help take care of patients is based on a lot of trust. And that trust given to me, I consider one of the highest honors in medicine,” said Dr. Niederee.
As a general surgeon, Dr. Niederee treats conditions throughout the entire body. These include conditions of the endocrine glands and gallbladder, and he performs hernia repair. One of his surgical specialties is single incision laparoscopic surgery.
Special Surgical Interests
- Medical Degree: Doctor of Medicine – University of Kansas School of Medicine; Wichita, Kansas; 7/93-6/97
- Residency: Family Practice – University of Kansas School of Medicine, Via Christi Campus; Wichita, Kansas; 7/97-6/98
- Residency: General Surgery – University of Kansas School of Medicine; Wichita, Kansas; 7/98-6/03
- American Board of Surgery; 2004 - Present
Current Teaching Appointments
- Clinical Assistant Professor: Department of Surgery, University of Kansas School of Medicine; Wichita, Kansas; 1983 - Present
- Fellow. America College of Surgeons
- Kansas Medical Society
- Medical Society of Sedgwick County
- American College of Surgeons, Kansas Chapter